We have a Web Development & Technology Working Group and we invite you to join with us
as think about the resources and links that are important to have on the ARNA website. We
have a new expanded group for the 2014-15 year.We meet once a week on the last Wednesday
of the month using this hangout.
Front row: Jennifer, Margaret & Elena
We welcome posts from the working group and comments from all members and visitors.
Here is the link to our google hangout for meetings
Web Dev & Tech Working Group
Present: Margaret Riel, Linnea Rademaker, and Rich McPherson
First topic was the election and congratulations to the new Chair of the Web Development & Technology Working Group - Rich McPherson
He will be taking over the group on Aug 1 and will lead the next meeting at the end of August
Evolution of ARNA Connect
1) Margaret made these changes to the front page based on the suggestions by members at the conference:
a) Moved the "welcome" text to the new member page reducing the overall amount of text on the page
b) Dropped the returning visitor button and changed the blog button to be like the other two
c) Added an image from the conference
d) Added the link to the proceedings
2) Rich made some changes to the conference pages
3) Linnea changed the banner page on Facebook to feature the new conference site.
We discussed the following:
1) What to do about the fact that the blog has had no new entries since November.
2) Reviewed Twitter and tweets are not being retreeted and appearing on the timeline.
3) How to assure that conference pages have the link back to the ARNA connect and the issue of creating a template for them.
Margaret: Post the 2016 awards to the members and conference pages, also to see if she can find a way to scroll the welcomes in different languages.
Linnea: retreet the stored tweets a few each day until we are caught up
Rich: Prepare his new ideas for the next session which he will lead.
June 20th Session at the 2016 Conference
The session had two parts:
Part 1:Three brief (6 min) presentations from these
The discussion was over the current website and what types of
question should we ask people
PART 2: The Facilitated Discussion and Shared Comments:
1) A suggestions was made to reduce the amount of text on the first page. We could do this by moving the
welcome text to the new member page and having a one sentence opening.
2) We discussed the reduction of the number of large buttons on the home page-- decision was made
that we did not need the returning member button and page. There was a suggestion that we remove
the blog if there was not more content.
3) While more images make the site more visually interesting, it is hard to figure out what image
represents ARNA. Margaret is taking conference photos hoping to find some images that will work.
4) The survey questions seemed reasonable. Some information is available from the analytics but
getting direct information from the members would help to rethink the future of the site.
5) The issue of different languages came up we reviewed the strategy that we had over time and
our current use of google translation. We expect that the team will learn a great deal with the
next conference in Columbia as the majority of the content will be in Spanish and we will be using the google
translation for change from Spanish to English. We will get a better sense of how this works and
when it is better to feature pages in two or more languages and when we can rely on translations.
We also thought that it would be good to open the page with a welcome in multiple languages.
Wednesday, May 25, 2016 1:58 PM
Jennifer Robins, Miguel Angel Lopez Montoya and 4 others joined the conversation
Margaret M. Riel joined the conversation
During this meeting everyone shared their 20 slides and we reviewed the presentations.
Margaret shared the draft of survey and we discussed some of the questions. The session was
taken up with preparation for the session next month. We created a folder in the google public
masters site for the team to share the three presentations and the drafts of the member
feedback survey. These will be used in the June session. We each reviewed the slides posted.
Wednesday, April 27, 2016 1:58 PM
Margaret Riel joined the conversation
Jamie Hill joined the conversation
Jenny Robins joined the conversation
Miguel Angel Lopez Montoya joined the conversation
This meeting was devoted to working on ideas for the Web Tec presentation at the
the upcoming conference. There was some confusion over the format of the Pecha
Kucha presentations. We had to request a session rather than being part of a
Margaret put some slides together for the talk. She offered a template for the talks
if others wanted to use it. Currently she has 10 slides with animations. These could
be changed to make up 20 slides. We discussed what would be in the slides and
tried out the 6 minute presentations.
Margaret agrees to work on a google form for the survey-- we can have both
both online and paper versions to anchor the discussion.
Slides would be ready for our next session.
ARNA March 23 Web-Tec Committee Meeting
Present: Margaret, Jenny, Richard, Linnea
1) Changes or issues with the website.
Seems to be stable-- counter working-- traffic is not increasing but part of having the conference site separate-- visits to the conference site are not included in the count
Rich - conference sites is working seems to be updated when is needed.
LInnea reports on the paper.
Jenny doesn't see anything needed on the groups page, although nothing much is getting updated in the last months.
2 Technology Support
web, facebook, youtube, twitter all seem to be functioning but what might the next stage of history look like?
3) Conference Presentation Proposal Planning
Pecha Kucha: 20 slides/5 minutes for each of us.; followed by 45 minutes of discussion/groups on creating a survey about our tech presence and how to improve it for all of us.
1) Organizational Perspective (Margaret)
3) Members --How can we shape the experience of new and renewing members? (Linnea)
How do we welcome new members?
They have access to the website, but most do not know how to participate with the digital tools.
Pages within the website
Possible Survey Questions -- (Goal keep it short, and easy--make each question count (don't ask about things we can find out from analytics)
Feb 24 2:00
Present: Jenny Margaret and Linnea
1) Leadership page has blank boxes... we need to have them filled with either text or videos
Margaret sent emails today; will add content when received. Feb 15 --(no progress.. the question is should I remove the boxes or keep trying)
2) Margaret is going to check with Holly and Joe, on the new members and interface with the website. New members need to be added to the wiki and also to the membership. ( Feb 15 I think this has been taken care of)
3) Everyone is going to test the scholarship page and then Margaret will give access to the people who will be reviewing. (It appears to be working but no applications have been received)
4) Jenny is going align the menu with group and arna connect (This was done and Jenny reports that there has been some activity in the groups)
5) Rich is going to check on the connections between the conference website and Youtube and see if twitter has an option. (The link back from the conference page is not there--MMR will send a message)
6) Someone needs to check on proceedings and make sure it has a way back. (This has been done)
7) Margaret will experiment with the site look and see what others think. ( I experimented with colors, but Lonnie and Joe did not like the change in colors (orange and blue) so I changed it back).
8) Rich is going to work on the video from the last conference (In process)
Groups-- not working reason is likely to be that it is not a grassroots effort. It is more something that the leadership is trying to create. Needs energy from the participants.
Is a Website a good way to support a group? Maybe facebook groups are better. Maybe we need a listsr rather than a facebook or website. Hard to know what would
help people to organize. We need to hear from members.
New website -- What platforms are going to be around? Why choose one over the other? Who has a good idea as to which would be better? We should be looking and
be ready to make a new proposal. Maybe we can work on a new site slowly over time and then be ready with a new version some time after the conference. Do we need
it to be a wiki? In reality only the leaders change the site but that access is important. We might be able to have multiple ownership of a new site.
We discussed plans to submit a PechaKucha Session... with a focus on: How Technology Serves ARNA Community Development
Large questions about the role of technology in the
Margaret --5 mins - development of an organization
Jenny -- 5 minutes-- from the perspective of small groups
Linnea -- 5 mins-- from the perspective of the individual member
Then the rest of the session will be to elicit ideas for how we move into the next stage of technology development
Meeting Jan 2016
Present: Margaret , Linnea Rademaker, Jenny Robins Rich McPherson
Updated: Updated the membership page with the brochure
Updated: History page-- documentation timeline history
New: added oral history taken from proceedings site
New: Added RevolveMap for better tracking of visitors-- we had problems with cluster map
Continuing on the clean up and moving of assets to the google drive and link
We are at 72% --moving large files will solve any space problems.
Working on a list of housekeeping things
Providing support to the the conference website
Posting content and working on the desgin
-need to finish Toronto review video and post to conference page
-upload and manage photos in Facebook, year-by-year
not receiving any new members to share the website with or any updates to the membership
MENU - Groups site
Changes have been made to the web site and these will need to be repeated on the
the group page.
Review of draft for Proceedings: Comments will be sent to Margaret
Photo/video Asset storage and use:
Discussion of where and how to access photos
Need to place more photos on the website
Revisited the issue of a splash page to ARNA - discussion of pros and cons and decided to first
see about putting more photos on the pages
Linking Back to ARNA-connect
Need to check the movement back and forth between websites...
- add link from YouTube
-add link from ARNA Conference page
Colors, Layout and change: Membership brochure has colors the compliment the logo. Might want to adjust the banner and navigation to have the orange and blue colors.
1) Leadership page has blank boxes... we need to have them filled with either text or videos
Margaret sent emails today; will add content when received.
2) Margaret is going to check with Holly and Joe, on the new members and interface with the website. New members need to be added to the wiki and also to the membership.
3) Everyone is going to test the scholarship page and then Margaret will give access to the people who will be reviewing.
4) Jenny is going align the menu with group and arna connect
5) Rich is going to check on the connections between the conference website and Youtube and see if twitter has an option.
6) Someone needs to check on proceedings and make sure it has a way back
7) Margaret will experiment with the site look and see what others think.
8) Rich is going to work on the video from the last conference
ARNA Web Tec Meeting
Nov/Dec Meeting on Dec 2 at 2pm PT
Present: Jamie, Linnea, Jennifer, Margaret
1) Overview of site:
Leadership changes were not yet made in all places.
We edited the site so that all leadership was accurate
We still need to get videos or written statements in the boxes. (Margaret will send email)
2) Cluster map updating problems
Site was not updating -stuck on Oct 17 and Clustrmaps not responding to help requestst
Margaret Created a new map which seems to be updating.
On Jan 1, we should revisit what we want to have on the site.
Choice between Clustrmap and Revolving Maps (both have pros and cons
-- both can be seen working on (ccar.wikispace.com, or onlinelearningcircles.org (this a google site so it would look like this one)
3) Membership listing
Any new members? Not appearing on the listing
Need to establish procedures for getting them added both to the sharing and to the member list
Founding who have not renewed are stilled listed on the site. What is the plan for removal of those that have not renewed?
Brochure-- When is it going out? We can use the content to create a webpage that features membership.
Blog... need to energize responses from the community. Will announce posts on FB.
Jamie will work on update FB more often and including Peter Richmond's blog posts.
When is the brochure going out?
Who is writing the announcement for the new conference website?
The images from the membership brochure could renew the membership page __ Margaret agrees to do this.
I could not find the notes from the meeting....I think that only one person attended and we talked without recording minutes. The task has been to
move all ARNA documents into our public spaces so that if any person should be missing, we would not lose assets. We are continuing in this
Rich could not attend but he did send this report which indicates the work that he has contributed to this group effort:
Here is a list of items that I am working on.
1) Checking on any further duplicated/missing files and cleaning them up (though I know you have already done an excellent job of this)
2) Download MASTER files from website to a folder for backup
3) Ensure all photos and videos that I have are uploaded to the email@example.com account. Video may have to go into a Dropbox because of size.
4) Create a word document that contains all links to videos live on our YouTube Channel so people have access quickly.
5) Edit Toronto Overview video
6) Update Facebook folders for photos
7) Update 2013 Conference web page to reflect newer look; link to old page as legacy
Web Tec Meeting AGENDA
September 23, 2015
Holly, Jamie, Margaret, Jennifer, Rich in attendance
(Note: The meetings during the summer month were small in size and focused on membership ideas, proceedings and general issues)
We have begun the process of getting the web assets (videos, images, files) into one place--ARNA Public Masters. Currently there are three folders here. One for videos, one for web-linked or attached files, and one for us to keep files and list the locations of assets in other places.
SPACE AND REVISIONS
Site storage 84% of 100 MB used. We should be able to move back to 40%.
We need to keep the size of the main website lean. Two ways to do this.
Margaret created folders to represent the menu items and demonstrated the process of copying files and graphics to the google drive. She also showed how to move files that we think are no longer current in a folder called marked for deletion. We need tol go through every page this way until we know that all graphics are in this folder. This makes it possible to reconstruct any page. Different people agreed to go through this process for different pages.
Rich will do this for the conference tabs
Holly will look through membership
Jennifer is looking through groups
Margaret will do about this website and history and other pages
2) remove the long history of revision.
There is no easy way to do this. Once we have all of the assets in one place, we willl take the pages with the most revisions and copy them getting rid of the revisions giving us more space. The home page is the hardest as the system does not want you change/rename or copy the home page. However we start on other pages and see how this affects the size limits.
Our collection of Conference Photos are stored in the ARNA CONNECT Google+ Account
We will also store photos in a file in the ARNA CONNECT google+ account
Sign in as ARNA CONNECT (the password was set by Jamie and is known by the people on the web- dev team.
NEW MEMBER ORIENTATION FOR THE WEB TEC Team
Margaret agreed to create a sheet listing the access permissions that have to be given to new members of the Web Tec Community, as well as an introduction letter.
REVIEW OF THE WEBSITE
Everyone agrees to review the website making sure that everything has been changed for the new year.
Jennifer took on the task of writing to leaders to get graphics and videos for all of the people on the leadership team.
HELP FILES- Margaret will work on these once other tasks are done.
PROGRESS ON PROCEEDINGS
SOCIAL MEDIA POSTINGS
Holly is going to write to John and ask for regular updates about the conference planning that can be twitted to followers. These can be little news items like setting up hotels or find speakers or creating a plan for some part of the conference.
And another way of doing this is to share news from our networking partners. Margaret shared the listing of other networks and Jamie and Holly might reach out to people either on our executive community or at these networks to keep news coming out on a regular bases.
We also talked about featuring images from the image collection on facebook from time to time.